Policy Advisor (Consultant – 6 months) – Malawi
Ipas is a nonprofit organization that works with local, national, regional and global partners, to improve sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on ensuring that high-quality safe abortion and contraceptive information and services are available, accessible and acceptable to women and girls
Based in Lilongwe, Malawi, Ipas seeks to appoint a
POLICY ADVISOR (CONSULTANT – 6 MONTHS)
The Policy Advisor provides technical guidance for policy and advocacy initiatives to increase access to safe SRHR services, including abortion services. The primary focus of this position is on working with stakeholders and policy makers at the national level to ensure access to SRHR, including abortion services for women is not compromised. The Policy Advisor is also responsible for implementing strategies to improve the enabling environment in support of women’s reproductive rights, with a focus on abortion care. The role also builds the capacity of regional networks to support Ipas’ mission. The position may be assigned to carry out/support/ gap fill related work within the Africa Southern region.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
Organizational Leadership and Strategy:
- Contributes to developing the strategic plan; Leads assigned sections of the strategic plan
- Participates in implementation of the local strategic plan in assigned areas
- Works collaboratively with other teams and units
- Responsible for deliverables and results in assigned work areas
Financial and Risk Management:
- Develops project workplans and budgets that are cost effective
- Leads workplan implementation and budget monitoring at the project level
- Implements risk reduction plans
- Understands and ensures compliance with Ipas policies, procedures, and standards, and with donor contracts and regulations for assigned projects or activities.
- Contributes to developing or updating policies, procedures and standards, in assigned areas
- Ensures compliance with Ipas and other applicable quality standards, in assigned projects or areas
Technical, or functional content of the Assignment:
- Provides policy technical and managerial leadership as needed for national policy activities.
- Maintains relationships with government officials and other organizations to assist with Ipas’ mission.
- Organizes sensitization workshops and provides ongoing information on Ipas’ mission.
- Supports fundraising initiatives for policy activities by contributing to donor proposals and preparation or review of donor reports
- Drafts white papers and policy briefs for influencing policy and increasing access to safe abortion services.
- Builds and nurtures existing networks and partnerships of organizations and institutions to support Ipas’ mission and legal changes on abortion.
- Contributes to the preparation of donor reports and externally facing documents; Ensures quality
- Contributes to project design and proposal preparation
Communications & representation:
- Shares learning and expertise within the Ipas network
- Contributes to the development or implementation of communications plans, primarily at project level
- Builds and maintains strong partnerships, primarily for a specific project
The Policy Advisor must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 5 or more years of relevant experience
- Experience working in human rights and/or public policy
- Advanced program planning and management experience
- Experience working in a non-profit organization
- A deep commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights, especially abortion and contraception access
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships with diverse internal teams and external partners.
- Demonstrated capacity and commitment to good stewardship of funds, including strong skills in work planning, budgeting, financial monitoring, and data-driven problem solving.
- Ability to travel up to 15 % domestically (with occasional regional trips if applicable)’
Please note that this is a short-term contract for 6 months, starting date 1 January 2023.
How to apply
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Wednesday 30th November 2022 to email@example.com