Yes, A Dentist Can Cook!
Hello folks! I hope everyone is doing well!
Looking at the delicacies all my fellow dentists are posting on Facebook and Instagram, it seems that we will give a tough fight to the food industry after this lockdown!
Most of us are feeling low for not getting to work, so here is a list of 5 simple yet tasty recipes which are not only nutritious but are also morally uplifting to get our “Happy Hormones” flow!
We have discovered a lot of ailments and medications till now. Time to ‘DISCOVER SOME SPICES’ now!
So to eat healthy , put on your apron ( KITCHEN APRON!!! ) and try some of these soul satisfying recipes before you kicktstart your dental practice after the lockdown.
1. Lemongrass Rasam :
A lovely light lemony Soup for anytime with the goodness of calcium and iron in lemongrass!
- Ginger: 3gms
- Asfoetida: 5 gms
- Garlic: 5gm
- Salt: to taste
- Tamarind: 2gm
- Black Pepper: 5gm
- Green chillies: 5gm
- Lemon Grass: 100gm
- Button chilly: 15gm
- Mustard seeds: 5gm
- Curry leaves: 10gm
- Yellow lentil: 50gm
- Tomato: 250gm
- Cumin seed: 2gm
- In a saucepan, heat half the oil and add half of mustard seeds, curry leaves, asofoetida, button chillies, ginger, green chillies and lemongrass.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and add.
- Add yellow lentil and cook for 10 mins.
- Add plenty of water and allow the soup to simmer for 45 mins.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and add to the soup.
2. Beetroot toast:
Typical Toast with a beetroot twist to get many nutrients in a very few calories! Also a good source of fibre to get make your digestive tract active.
- Beetroot: 2 to 3
- Onions: 1
- Cottage cheese:100gms
- Green chillies
- A few nuts
- Olive oil
- Chilli powder: 1tsp
- Boil the beetroot and sauté with onions and garlic. Puree it.
- Add cottage cheese and green chillies. That is your gooey base, which you can spread on a toast or a rusk.
- Top it with fruits such as pears, crumbled cheese, nuts, lemon juice, chilli powder and olive oil.
3. Potato pancakes:
A ‘not so guilty’ recipe for potato lovers to get a good dose of Vitamin B6 and potassium.
- Mashed potatoes: 3 to 4
- Oats: 1 cup
- Semolina or sooji: 1 cup
- Refined flour: 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any other spices you may have
- Blend mashed potatoes with some cream.
- For binding, add oats, semolina and refined flour to the batter. Rest it for 30 minutes.
- Add flavours by using whatever sauces, spices and cheese you have at home.
- Use this batter to make the pancakes on a pan.
4. Coffee Smoothie Recipe
Go happy with this probiotic packed recipe to ease your digestion!
- 1/4 cup cold Brewed Coffee
- 1 Banana, sliced or 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt or Vanilla Yogurt
- 2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract or A pinch of Ground Cinnamon
- 2-3 Ice Cubes
- 2 teaspoons Honey or Sugar
· To make brewed coffee at home using Instant Coffee Powder – Take 1/2 teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder in a medium bowl and pour 1/4 cup hot water over it. Stir with a spoon until the coffee powder is dissolved. Let it cool before using in the next step.
- Add sliced banana and plain greek yogurt in a blender jar.
- Add honey and vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth puree. Pour prepared drink into a serving glass and serve.
5. Dalgona Coffee
This viral recipe to complete the lockdown trend made with the same old coffee but with a toffee like smooth and tasty twist!
- Instant Coffee – 2 tblsp
- Sugar – 4 tblsp or more
- Hot Water – 2 tblsp
- Cold Milk – as needed
- Ice Cubes as needed
- Sweetener for milk if needed
- Take coffee, sugar, hot water in a bowl. Mix well.
- Use a hand blender to whip this till it gets light and fluffy. It will take around 3 to 5 mins.
- Now take a serving glass. Fill with ice. Add in sweetened milk.
Let’s make food memories!!